Sunday, May 20, 2007

SR' 92- MEMORIES LAST FOREVER

This was an unbelievable year for me. I learned to be comfortable in bringing and using my wheelchair when I could at school functions. I was not left out of activities or made to feel any different like I thought I would. That's what I get for assuming! You know what they say about what assuming means? Ass + u + me!! It would make some peeps feel helpful just to be able to push me! Which made me feel good. Sometimes I would get out of my wheelchair, and let other peeps get into it and try to pop wheelies! The theme for the year was “memories last forever ", and I made sure I was not going to regret doing just that. I never once stepped down from doing things because of my disability. I knew a way would be found for me always.

Anytime us seniors got a chance to get out grub on we were game! Whether it was for breakfast, lunch, or her even a just a party! Someone would have to help me get my plate of food. This bothered me just that I could not independently get it myself, but it was just a good thing, and I am not picky! I would usually say to get me a little of everything then if I wanted more of one thing I could say. We were always doing something silly! They always had someone singing (usually our class chaplain Wendy ). I don't have many pics from these. But I will share what I do have, and put a caption below each pic.
This was taken during our Thanksgiving luncheon. This is the man who made every senior activity possible! He was our senior sponsor, Thank you Coach Nance! I am not sure if you can tell it on the wall is the Turkey legs contest. Some of the teachers took pictures of their legs and we got to get guess. The winner won a Turkey! We also got to vote on who had the best looking Turkey legs and the teacher also won a Turkey! I cannot remember who won, and I have slept just fine without knowing! It was just a good thing that my turkey legs weren't the ones being voted on!!

CAPTION: A feast it is at the Christmas luncheon! Everything looks so good that Wendy just cannot decide! Getting our grub on while sharing some of our favorite Christmas carols was on the agenda!



We had a door decorating contest between homerooms for Christmas. My English homeroom class won!
 
CAPTION: It is the All-American game, of suck-n-blow played at the Valentines Day party. Did Jeff suck his way to Melissa's heart, or did she blow him out of the water??? We even know decorated little Valentines bags and put little Valentine cards in them:) I had thinking that the goal of the party was to get us full of sugar, and send us on our way LOL!

I've already told you about the Halloween costume contest and spook house. We also had a scavenger hunt at the big mall (Woodland Hills) in the area. Of course, I brought my wheelchair to use. It was short lived though, because we were asked to leave the mall! The hunt was sat up so innocently. Getting wrappers or receipts from certain stores. There were about 40 of us 92ers there along with some teachers. We were all wearing white sweatshirts with royal blue big letters that said "seniors 92"! I think we spooked the Barney Fife security for they were probably thinking "What in the world are all those there younguns in white sweatshirts doing at our shopping center?" We left and cheered ourselves up at our local hangout joint…Mazzio’s!

 Another memory was at Thanksgiving where we enjoyed making smores, and riding on a hayride at one of the teacher’s ranch. I brought my wheelchair this time as well, but feared running over road apples!! It was cold, but warm by the fire! I did have a hard time getting up into the bed of the trailer for the hayride. I just sat right in the middle because I wanted to be the needle you find in the haystack! They did their best to scare us going through the maze, but it was not happening! One of the teachers (Coach Hart) gave me a piggyback ride back to my chair after we got off the hayride! We learned our lesson when trying to push me to get to the hayride. Thanks coach!
One of my good friends, and fellow 92ers, Melissa and I would go to every home basketball game together. It was accessible to get into the gymnasium. I would take my wheelchair, and sat at the bottom of the bleachers and Melissa would sat right behind me. After that game everyone would meet up….Where? Mazzio’s!!

It’s time for the annual Senior Easter Egg Hunt held on the campus. We had really pretty campus grounds that were kept up so nicely. There was a little bridge with a babbling brook going underneath it, and lots of greenery and trees. This was heading from the main building to the stadium. Several teachers went out there to hide the eggs before. They were plastic egg's filled with candy and goodies! I used the nurses wheelchair instead of my own. I did not want to get mine all muddy, and I wanted to make sure that everyone knew that from the beginning. It was one of those old hospital looking wheelchairs, and I did not want anyone to think I was trying to be sexy in that! Because of my extra baggage they let me start hunting for the egg's first. My friend and fellow 92er Eldon decided to give me a push. But not a gentle push for we were on a mission to get us some eggs! It was easier to push me on the back wheels, because the little wheels in the front would get stuck in the ground. So leaning me back and letting the wind blow our hair was what we did! I can't remember how many eggs we found, but it was very fun! My last memory that I will share with you is when we went canoeing down the river. This was the same river that I went down on an intertube when I was younger with my parents. I did not bother bringing along my wheelchair. Peeps would carry me to the boat. We all knew I could get barely walk on flat ground! And yes when I had to go, well ya know, I went in the river! But we never did tip over!!

I know there were many more memories, but this is just the few that top my memory right now. I am so glad that I did not let myself not do those things. Look at the fun times I would have missed out on. The life lesson that I have taken with me here is to just be yourself. People are going to like you for being you. Do you have a fun school memory that you would like to share?

Thank you for taking the time to read, Miss S

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I lived my SR. year the same as you, no regrets. I didn't have many friends in HS because when I got put on the vent at age 12-13 I was on homebound (which is home school provided by the school system in which they send a teacher to your home) from 5th grade until I talked my parents into letting me go back my JR. year so I didn't really know anyone. Anywho, I did all the SR. activities I could. I even went to Prom dateless (which is depressing at 17), but to this day I am glad I did. Everyone I had classes with came and talked to me, even the guys! The guy I kinda had a crush on bought a rose (they were selling them at Prom) and gave it to me and told me I looked beautiful. I almost fainted! Then another guy asked me to dance. I never expected that. I am so glad I did all of that so I know how you feel.

MISS S said...

Thank u for sharing Melissa. I am so glad u went to your prom. U had the mens flocking to you!! I will share my prom story in a couple of posts. I am glad u got to mingle at school.